It’s that time of the year again, when the holidays loom and suddenly we’re scrambling to meet deadlines, catch up on projects, and prepare for holiday festivities. I thought it might be nice to share a list of great gifts for writers – perfect for any time of the year and for any occasion from birthdays to launch parties to celebrating The Call or just because.
- Journals and writing pads: Always a fun gift, although some writers are very particular about what journal or writing pad they use.
- Gift card to an office supply store: I don’t know any writer who doesn’t love shopping for office (writing) supplies.
- Gift card to a local indie book store
- Books to inspire: Some of my personal favorites are –
- Custom Miniature Book Locket: I found this artist on Etsy and while shipping can take awhile (from Spain), it’s well worth it!
- Bookends: Writers have tons of books. You can probably find a bookend to match the writer’s passions on Etsy. From mermaids to steampunk, there’s a perfect bookend out there for everyone.
- A travel tea or coffee thermos: I have a tea thermos with infuser that I love. It keeps my tea hot for 6 hours. No need to reheat or top off.
- Or a travel thermos to keep things cold: My new favorite keep-cold thermos is by S’well. They claim liquid will keep cold for 24 hours! They also claim hot liquids will stay hot for 12. I once left it in my hot car for two hours and when I returned the water was still ice cold.
- Coffee mugs
- Offer of babysitting if the writer has young children.
- Book-related clothing: From socks to scarves to t-shirts, Out of Print has some fun stuff, like these library card socks.
- Gift card for massage: Writers sit a lot.
- Earbud holder: This one works great for keeping earbuds from getting into a tangled mess.
I’d love to hear some of your ideas for perfect writer gifts. Happy shopping!
Debbi Michiko Florence loves to shop. She writes full time in her cozy studio, The Word Nest. Her favorite writing companions are her rabbit, Aki, and her two ducks, Darcy and Lizzy.
Jasmine Toguchi, Mochi Queen and Jasmine Toguchi, Super Sleuth, the first two books of her debut chapter book series will be coming out from Farrar Straus Giroux on July 11, 2017, with two more books to follow. She is also the author of an early reader series, Dorothy & Toto (Picture Window Books/2016).